Marine Semco Teak Sealer for Your Boat or Furniture
Teak has been the traditional wood for decks since before the golden age of the clippers and is still used on yachts, coasters, and even naval vessels. The appeal of teak is twofold: it looks beautiful when properly cared for with teak sealer and withstands the ocean weather masterfully when properly cared for with a quality marine teak sealer.
Semco Teak Sealer is an internationally proven product to keep your teak decks beautiful and in ship-shape condition. Semco developed its signature teak sealer for easy application and easier maintenance through the seasons and over the years. A proper maintenance program prevents the sun from drying out or seawater rotting the woodwork.
As a general rule, 1L will cover approx. 5 square metres with two coats. Coverage may vary slightly depending on the teak condition.
To apply SEMCO Teak Sealer the wood must be completely dry and for best results clean the teak with Semco’s two-part Cleaner.
- Shake the can or stir the contents to thoroughly mix the SEMCO. SEMCO Teak Sealer has a water-like consistency, appearing opaque in the can.
- Apply the SEMCO to the teak using a foam brush applicator allowing the wood to absorb as much as it wants. There are no brush strokes or lap marks to be concerned with. When the first coat is complete, a second coat can be applied immediately. Always apply both coats in the same day.
- Use a rag to wipe any excess from the wood after each coat. Two coats as an initial application should be sufficient in most cases, as more coats will mask the grain of the wood. The teak will be dry to the touch in an hour and ready for service the next day. Cool, cloudy or damp weather will slow the drying time. A plastic spray bottle eases application to furniture.
When SEMCO Teak Sealer is applied to the teak and it has had a week or two to weather, the wood will appear as if it has “nothing” on it, yet the teak will not turn grey or allow the growth of mildew. After cleaning and sealing with SEMCO the first time, an occasional cleaning with soap and water and a single fresh coat of Sealer applied seasonally will keep the teak looking great for years to come. If water dashed on the surface beads up, then the SEMCO is still working and does not need re-coating. Avoid applying SEMCO too often as the finish will build up and mask the grain of the wood. A harsh environment or higher usage may shorten the intervals of maintenance required.
The Different Tones:
SEMCO Teak Sealer is manufactured in several shades.
- The most popular choice for our furniture customers is Honeytone. This shade gives the wood the rich “honey” colour similar to the colour of the wood when it is new. SEMCO also offers several other shades that may be used to produce any desired look on the wood.
- SEMCO Goldtone will give the wood the “reddish brown” colour of new teak.
- SEMCO Natural, boater’s favourite shade, will give the wood the “sandy tan” colour of weathered teak.
- SEMCO Classic Brown will give the wood the “dark brown” colour of teak when wet.
- SEMCO Clear Tone contains no pigment and is therefore not as resistant to the elements and requires more frequent re-coating.
- SEMCO is now offering a new product that will aid in preserving the surface of the wood and provides a patina to the finished surface. SEMCO Clear Coat will provide a more impervious surface improving stain and dirt resistance and impart a rich patina to the teak. SEMCO Clear Coat can be applied over SEMCO Teak Sealer on tabletops to help provide stain resistance. It will darken whatever shade the wood is slightly.
While the SEMCO Teak Sealer is resistant to the weather and most stains, some oily or greasy food may stain the surface of the wood. The best method to clean these stains is dish soap or a spot clean with SEMCO Two Part Teak Cleaner for any stubborn spots. Any of the colours can be mixed to achieve an intermediate shade.
Other Timber Applications:
Teak is unmatched in its beauty and durability. With little care it will last many years, with a little SEMCO it will remain looking like new as well. SEMCO works in a similar fashion on other types of wood such as Iroko, Mahogany, Redwood, Ash, Jatoba, Ipe and Butternut. SEMCO Teak Products are used in many commercial applications such as outdoor restaurants, hotels, cruise ships, theme parks and some very special residences that have teak doors and trim details. SEMCO is also used by many manufacturers of boats, furniture and canoes.
Free mixing stick and brochure with each purchase! The brochure explains in detail how to use the teak cleaner and the teak sealer products.
We Stock All Tones!!
Price is the same for all tones!
Contact us with any questions!